English Learning Training & Professional Development Project
The English Learner Training & Professional Development Project is an intensive program that strengthens the capacity of out-of-school time providers to deliver high quality programming that meets the needs of English Learner children and youth. This project is made possible by generous funding from the S.H. Cowell Foundation in partnership with Development Without Limits West and Public Profit.
Bring English Learner Training to your agency!
Out-of-School Time sites will receive:
- Three 4-hour training workshops
- Three tool booklets with strategies and activities to help support English Learners and their families
- A site observation to support the implementation of strategies and activities learned
Training will cover the following:
- Knowing English Learners – to understand the factors beyond English fluency that affect the participation and achievement of English Learners in schools, and to unearth misconceptions and possible bias through self reflection.
- Promoting English Language Development – to provide best practices and stages, and research-based strategies such as SDAIE (Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English) to support English language development and academic support.
- Linkage to the School Day – to understand different types of English Learner Programs that currently exist in the K-12 system and English Learner assessment data.
- Home Language and Cultural Identity Support – to explore research illustrating the benefits of home language and cultural identity support as well as strategies to apply.
- Family and Community Engagement – to identify resources that exist in communities, tips on creating a welcoming environment for families, and strategies for engaging community and family members.
Please contact Selena Levy email@example.com, 510-444-4622 x108 with questions.
2014-15 EL Project Impact Highlights:
- 15 CalSAC EL Trainers provided over 250 hours of training and professional development
- 20 agencies enrolled 51 program sites
- Over 200 staff participated and applied the strategies and tools at their sites
- 14,362 children and youth served by participating agencies 50% are English Learners
Check out the videos below to learn more about the benefits EL Training can have on your programs!
Click here to learn more about the success of the project and impact it can have on your staff and program.
Click here to request the EL Training Package for your agency today!
Please contact Selena Levy, 510-444-4622 x108 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.